Saturday, February 28, 2009

I Love Me

Growing up I hated my nose.

When I say hated, I mean it because I really did. I would look in the mirror and all I'd see was a shoe in the middle of my face and it was not a "Christian Louboutin" one 'cause at least it would have been a fabulous one, you know with the red sole and all. I thought it was all people saw, A WALKING NOSE.

I got older and little by little learned to accept my nose and realized that it actually worked with the rest of my facial features and, to tell you the truth, I had seen too many nose jobs go bad that really I decided that, since this was the nose I was given, I was better off liking it. By the time I was 18 I had great self-image. For the most part, I had a high self-esteem and I thought of myself as an attractive woman ;) (don't mean to brag...) I really thought I had no more self image issues...until one day.

That day was the day my husband asked me, "Why do your hands look like that?"
That question took me on a journey back in time and made me realize that for a long time I had been abusing my hands. I would pick up hot things with my bare hands, I would use super hot water to do the dishes. They were dry and full of burn marks. I would even make negative remarks about them. I just did not treat them with love and, since they are part of me, I was not loving myself.


Learning to love who we are entirely, is the first step to getting ourselves back. We must learn to love ourselves in spite of our many imperfections and flaws. If we don't love ourselves unconditionally, the way God does, no one else will.

My hands were my issue, yours might be your weight, your hair, etc. If we don't love one part of us, we are not loving ourselves truly. Remember love is not an emotion, it is a decision you and I make.


Loving yourself is the best gift you can pass on to your children.




(To be continued...)




Love you all. Join me again next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment